May 7, 2009

AFRICAN ADVENTURES












GRANDMA RITA’S
RAMBLINGS

April, 2009


To My Grandkids With Love


This is one of those trips that I would not in my wildest imaginations have ever thought I’d do. It all started when Juanita, your Grandpa Lynn’s Iowa sister called me. She was making plans to go to Dakar, Senegal, Africa with her two daughters, Sharman and Heidi. Would I consider going along? From Atlanta, GA we could get a plane non-stop to Dakar, an overnight flight.

Since Ramona and Jim were there working with a missions organization called World Venture and Juanita’s son and family, Bruce and Julie Adamson were living only a few miles from them doing missionary work under another missions board,it seemed like a perfect opportunity to see them and get to know another part of the world. Reservations were made early for March 20th.

Yes, March 20th 2009 came and it became one of those days that I will not forget for a long time. I was of course excited and a bit fearful of the unknown. It all started with a phone call at 3 a.m. It was a canned phone call to tell me this was the day I was to travel. It is hard to hear messages on the phone and I had to play it several times before I knew what they were saying. I thought they might be telling me of a time change. It wasn’t. Oh well, I needed to be up by 4 a.m. anyway to get to the airport in time.

I won’t go in to all the little (or big?) things that happened that just kept me wondering if I would make it to my destination such as finding a big hole in one of my suitcases, losing my cell phone only to find it later in the bottom of my bag, and some other things.

Juanita (IA), Sharman (CA), and Heidi (NE) and myself planned to meet at Atlanta,GA Airport That went OK and we got on the plane ready to roll when we heard otherwise. We had to deplane as there was a mechanical problem. After a three hour delay in Atlanta we left at 7 p.m. All of our families were at the Dakar Airport at 8 a.m. the next day to meet us.





WORLD VENTURE MISSIONARIES RETREAT:
As soon as we arrived in Dakar (8 a.m. Senegal time) Jim, Ramona and I left by car for a Missionary Retreat by the ocean that is planned once a year for all World Venture missionaries in the country of Senegal. It was a good chance for me to learn about the work there and get to know Jim and Ramona’s co-workers. This week-end is designed to be a restful time, Time was spent on the beach, kayaking, swimming, family times, coffee times to chat with each other.



FAMILY TIME: The next couple of days were spent at another resort and it was time to spend time with family. This was a really nice place with plenty of beach and nice facilities. Since the two families hadn’t seen each other, some for years, we would just be enjoying getting connected.

By family I mean Bruce and Julie and their three, Taylor, Sam, and Ellie. Bruce is Juanita’s son and brother to Sharman and Heidi. We had a great time getting acquainted again. We ate one meal together each day.

Two one day trips were planned for all nine of us.

The first day we left early to go to a Game park--a refuge for African animals.


BANDIA GAME PARK:
Our tour bus was a pickup truck with two planks going lengthwise in its bed. There were bars above to hang on to to keep from falling out! It was a bit hard to climb in to. I was thankful for long legs and a push from behind!

The driver just drove around in this big reserve finding the animals. Our tour guide spoke French so Bruce translated information into English. It was great. The next thing to being on a safari, I think!

The only elephant we saw was the trunk of a Baobob tree that looked like an elephant. There is a legend about the Baobob tree.- in the creation God wasn’t pleased with the tree he made and he pulled it up, turned it upside down and replanted it. The Baobob trees are very numerous and they aren’t very pretty-they do look like the roots are sticking up. The inside of the trunk is hollow and they produce what they called “Monkey Bread” It is supposed to be nutritious.








THE CAMEL RIDE:
The second day we were together we left for the Sahara Desert which was about a four hour drive north. There is a little village right on the edge of where we were going to ride camels. There we parked our cars. Again we mounted our tour bus (pick-up) and were driven to our “motel” for the night (large tents).


Because the sand is soft and fine we sunk in about three inches every time we took a step. One of the pics you will see Juanita coming out of the “restroom” made of leaves. She and I were in one tent together. It was cold and windy. We slept on mats. Not really! I didn’t get much sleep that night.


But I’m getting ahead of the story. Toward evening we all got on camels with the help of some workers. There were two or three to a camel. I was worried that I might fall off for it isn’t very smooth riding and you are up there pretty high. Anyway, I am now able to say that I have ridden a camel!


The next morning we left via pick-up and went back to the little village for our cars. After escaping many men, women and children trying to sell us their wares, we left for “home”.

It took a while for us to recup from that trip! A couple of days later both families went by ferry to an island close to Dakar. It is called Goree Island or slave island. The history of that island is very sad. People would be forced from many villages in Africa by the French traders and there they would be housed in these buildings until the slave ships arrived.

Upon arrival of the ships they would be put in chains, (ankles and wrists), and would file out through the “Door of no Return” to be sold in the States or in other countries.

It is now a tourist area-you can go through the various buildings with tour guides. Also many little three sided shops sell many trickets, clothing, etc. When the natives see that we are a bunch of Americans they swarm over you like vultures trying to sell us something. This is the main way they earn their bread and butter.


THE TALIBI BOYS:
Friday is Ramona’s day to help at the Center for the Talibi boys, managed by a World Venture missionary.

The word Talibi means “Disciple”. There are estimated to be 100,000 of them on the streets of Dakar. Parents of these boys who live in the villages will give up their boys to the Muslim leaders to win favor with Allah. They are promised an education and care of them. But most of the times these boys are put out on the streets of Dakar to beg for their food. The boys think it is OK because they are sacrificing for Allah.

If they do not bring anything home at night to give to the Muslim leader, they will be punished. Eventually, they become disillusioned. They want to go back home but again will be told that would not please Allah.

When World Venture opened the Center six months ago the boys realized this was a haven where there was loving care. They have ministered to around eighty of them. The day I was there we counted around fifty. Some things they could enjoy was a shower and clean clothes twice a week, a cup of hot milk and a piece of bread with nutritional and tasty filling. They can play with blocks and toys, color in coloring books, watch a Christian film, listen to a Bible Story, play in the half basketball court and just relax. They spend a few hours there in the morning and then off they go for a day of begging on the street with their little buckets. These boys range in age from 5 to 14 years of age.


After their day they return to the Muslim leader to show the results of their day and sleep on the ground in a shack-like facility. Our hearts were so touched for these precious boys. What of their present and future? Only God knows.


DAKAR CHRISTIAN ACADEMY
The school was on Spring Break most of the time I was there. But the last day I was able to visit and meet some of the staff. I also met the Fifth Grade Students that Jim teaches. There are 15 students from seven different countries. Most are Missionary Kids. Parents are originally from Korea, Brazil, and USA to name a few.


THE INTERNATIONAL ENGLISH SPEAKING CHURCH
This was the grand finale of my trip!! This was mostly Black believers from various English speaking countries in Africa. The worship time was a little bit of heaven on earth, the choir and the pastor’s message on Palm Sunday were very soul stirring and I felt such a sweet time of being truly in God’s presence. It’s hard to describe and no pictures would give you the sense of the time spent in this humble little gathering.

I want to thank Jim and Ramona for making this such a special trip. The pics are all what they took during the time I was there. They truly gave me the grand tour spending precious time to make this all possible. Also, the trip was a double blessing for me to be with Juanita, my dear sister in “love” and her family. This was truly a God planned trip and most of all I am thankful for His wonderful protection.

Love, to all,
Grandma Rita

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi Mom,

I`m so glad you had a great trip. I have been bragging to everyone about my 80 something mom going to Africa and riding a camel.

I would encourage all of you reading these blogs to leave a comment so Mom will know you are getting them.

Happy Mother`s Day Mom!

Love,

Chris and Rachel

Unknown said...

this is a very nice blog I hope when I get to 80 I'll be able to do something like this!!

Unknown said...

Very cool, Rita! You are such an adventurer, following the Master wherever He leads, and undertaking whatever comes to you. Thank you for sharing this blog entry with me.
Chris